Friday, August 24, 2012

Hannah Reid - Organic Agriculture Facilitator in Mexico

Week 5 in San Cristobal de Las Casas! Today, like most days, it has poured rain for many hours (I am now thoroughly convinced there is world-wide conspiracy to falsely advertise Mexico as being warm).

Here in San Cris, I am working with an organization called Comida Sana y Cercana, which works to promote the production and sale of organic products. As an intern, my main responsibility is to conduct an investigative market study aimed at identifying the weak points of Comida Sana y Cercana’s weekly farmer’s market (here called a Tianguis). To do this, I have repeatedly taken to the streets (rain or shine) with pen in hand to interview current or potential customers.The results have been often informative, sometimes hilarious!

When I am not doing interviews, compiling data or helping promote the Tianguis, I can often be found scaling the side of ArcoTeTe (or other mountains) with the San Cristobal rock-climbing group! Here in San Cristobal, I have the best of both worlds: a gorgeous colonial city bustling with music, entertainment and local activities (last night I went to see American activists ‘The Yes Men’ speak) surrounded by unbelievably beautiful natural landscapes! I couldn’t ask for more!

That’s all for now! Saludos a todos!

- Hannah




No comments: