Monday, February 11, 2013

Update from Greg Lynch in Nicaragua


With just one week in, it feels like I’ve gotten myself a bit of a rhythm here. Certainly a rhythm much different than at FBC but a rhythm nonetheless.
I flew into Managua on Saturday night and was happily greeted by a Carlos, a cab driver sent by our friends at Casa Candiense. He quickly whisked me out to the Casa to get a good night sleep and to meet Carrolle who is working as the education coordinator there. She made me feel very at home and after a short chat we crashed.
Since I was told Monday would be best to arrive I had a day to explore Managua. Carrole took the time out of her day to drive her giant truck through the swarming streets. I was pleased to see that Managua has decorated for Christmas in the classic neon purple and pink I so associate with childhood Christmases. I mustn’t forgot the three lane roundabouts with glowing Christmas Trees and a statue of Jesus atop the world. The market, a delicious meal in enormous chairs and my first day in Nicaragua was soon done.
Monday morning I was off to Sabana Grande. I spent most of the day on the bus, though by far one of the more comfortable bus rides I’ve taken in a while. By late in the afternoon I had arrived and found myself sitting at a table at the Solar Restaurant with the Mujeres chatting excitedly about all manner of things. It became very clear these women run the show and know how things should be done. Once again I was soon steered in a new direction. I was brought to the home of Adelina where I will be hosted for the next month and a half.
Within just a few minutes of arriving I was fed and welcomed into the family very warmly. Adelina whipped up a quick meal while her three daughters chatted with me and explained the home. With my own room, mosquito net, plenty of food, water and the pleasant soundscape of frogs, salamanders and dogs singing me to sleep it didn’t seem like long until I was awakened by chickens at my door.
Another great meal in the morning and I was down the path to the Centro Solar. Arriving, I soon met up with Ben and Jessie, interns from the first and second intakes respectively. With no time lost I soon got to know how things worked at the Centre and with the Mujeres. For my first day I joined the two of them on their projects and lent a hand in any way I could.
Day one at work here in Sabana Grande was a little confusing but certainly productive. Not one to hold back, I soon found myself standing on an adobe roof passing a stove pipe down into the kitchen to newly improved stove. Getting the stove up and running I was soon replacing the adobe shingles and back on the ground in no time.
Since day one I’ve been spending my mornings working with Maurito. Maurito maintains the gardens and does odd jobs for the solar restaurant. For those of you that know me I do enjoy a good chat; spending time with Maurito has given me plenty of practice at listening as well as chatting. It’s great to work with someone who is happy to teach about most anything from banana cultivation, the solar powered water system to Spanish grammar and the history of the enourmous 500 year old ceiba tree down the road from my house.
So here I am enjoying the community. Helping out with any project I can and learning a lot along the way. The women here are very interested in beekeeping so I’m going to see if I can get them set and ready before I go. The Nicaragua I am seeing now from Sabana Grande is one of warm people, strong women,  gorgeous views and an endless amount to learn.

No comments: